Friday, July 19, 2019

Thank you!! 500 Followers!


Today I got a notification that I reached 500 followers on my facebook page Living with Embouchure Dystonia!

Although I started my blog in 2011, I didn't start my facebook page until six years later. At the time I didn't keep it updated because I don't like attention; I'd rather be found when needed (like a library book) than posting all my stuff up front in a more mainstream manner. Thanks to the suggestion of a highly encouraging friend, it wasn't until this last year I really started to utilize the page for sharing my blog posts and I started a website.

I know that this complex and mysterious disorder (Focal Task-Specific Embouchure Dystonia) scares serious brass and wind musicians since most avoid speaking about the subject of injuries, disorders, and setbacks in general.

It is no surprise that several (but not all) musicians who have never been through a major debilitating setback refuse to believe such a disorder exists; many don't believe you can get injured by the simple act of playing music; that setbacks can be altogether avoided if you have healthy habits and proper mechanics; and that if you end up injured or develop a disorder then you are doing something wrong....
......which all 4 of these beliefs are false, and to be honest - ignorant. You can't label everything as "bad habits."

Sports medicine professionals and professional athletes who have gone through injuries or who have dystonia would wonder what is wrong with you if considering any of the above as the "problem and answer" to majority of setbacks that happen.

Therefore it makes me feel hope knowing that there are a handful who are able to look past the fear and instead support the understanding of this complex disorder and know how important it is to break down these false misconceptions surrounding musician injuries and disorders. The gap between the medical field and musicians must be bridged. It's never going to happen if musicians keep avoiding the subject and lack education on it.

Musicians with injuries and disorders don't ask for pity (it's not like we have leprosy), but instead respect and understanding in knowing that setbacks are not easily avoidable, resolved, or a simple matter that can be summarized and labeled as the fault of the musician only/themselves.

Many don't speak out about their injuries due to fear of being judged, damaging their reputation, or because they can no longer put up with the disappointment in their peers and colleagues who cannot or refuse to understand their situation.

And often times peers and colleagues don't value an injured musicians perspective and deep insight because they hold a false (and harmful) belief that "injured musicians (even if a close friend or long-time colleague) must not know how to take care of themselves and need the advice of a non-injured musician who has evaded injury....otherwise they would have never been in this situation to begin with".

Thank you again to those who have always been supportive and open-minded. I will always continue to write for those who have it, those who want to understand it (from a person's perspective who actually has it and devotes their life to understanding it and overcoming it), and for my own self and wellbeing.

I know this wasn't the most heartfelt thank you, but please know it really does mean a lot. You all are making a huge change in the direction of the future for those who do end up injured or develop a disorder (believe me, no one ever sees it coming or expects to end up in such a situation...NO ONE).

It's important to keep the doors of communication open, as well as minds! 😊 ❤️

- Katie Bergløf

No comments:

Post a Comment