Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cloud 9




Best practice ever!!!! I was actually very scared these last 2 weeks or so, as I was going through an intense relapse (the longest relapse I've experienced so far) and had to be careful; the relapse was different/weird this time around because my upper lip would have a random singular spasm while I was at rest (meaning not while I was playing, but while I was just watching TV or driving...which never happens), and the singular spasm was really forceful...almost painful. I felt like my embouchure was really freezing up like a muscle cramp and it was stuck like this. I couldn't relax it even with ice pack/heat packing or with stretching, etc. Then it swelled up randomly in week 2 even though I hadn't practiced (could have been something I ate). I thought "What the heck? Maybe I overdid it." I feel it's because I've been working my way into my treble clef/upper range and it takes a lot out of me...sometimes hard to tell how much is too much. So I rested for a couple weeks just letting my muscles settle, and could tell whether or not it was safe to play just by trying to form an embouchure. Even last week my boyfriend asked me, "Why are your lips quivering when I try to kiss you?" ...that was embarrassing to explain!!!! uhhhg.

But a couple days ago I felt like my face settled, was at rest and relaxed, so I went ahead today and practiced. I did a lot of stretches, and immediately saw the spasms melt away in the mirror as I stretched and re-checked them. My embouchure gave into relaxing and I started to play.

I did my overtone series exercise and I couldn't believe the improvement! It was unbelievable!!!! Remarkable!!!!!! I felt more definition of the space between the partials, and it wasn't frustrating/difficult to control the movement/fluidity as I went down into the lower partials on the F horn side. It felt natural and wonderful!!! I've never felt that natural ease of control ever before when working on overtones...usually something that's extremely difficult for me to control, and takes a lot of endurance. Hoping this improvement will stick and I can capture it on camera. It's just like another dystonic musician said, "You can't have a relapse unless there is significant improvement!"

I'm on cloud 9!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

A happy picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment