Friday, June 8, 2018

Month of June Resource Links




Hi everyone! Please forgive me for not tending to my blog lately. I'll be taking some time away this summer to focus on other areas of my life. I do promise though that I won't forget to come on here and update things at least every 2 months at the latest, and hopefully by either September or October I will be diving back into focusing on my blog! I have been going through a lot of changes lately and excited to write more about that later. I just celebrated my birthday...since it is in early June, so thought I'd stop by and update things too while I'm on cloud 9. Also apologies to those who have written to me and I haven't replied back yet. I will be getting around to that tomorrow! :-)

Here are three links I came across recently that I found informative and interesting....

The first one is an article published in the Australian Dental Journal back in 2002 called Specific Orofacial Problems Experienced by Musicians.

Secondly, an article by Medical News Today called "What Causes Your Lip to Twitch?" which covers the different types of reasons a person might experience facial tremors or spasms. This isn't meant to say that what you're experiencing isn't embouchure dystonia if you think you have it, but to hopefully open our eyes to other disorders or situations that cause tremors, and what is typically done in those individual cases, and also most of all how important it is to get diagnosed by a neurologist in order to rule out any of these other possible health concerns.


Lastly, a post by Dr. Kenneth Casey at the Department of Neurological Surgery at Wayne State University in Detroit Michigan over Hemifacial Spasms (spasms in the face)....published on the Benign Essential Blepharospasm Research Foundation (BEBRF) website. This one is great because it covers in more detail the neurological-related reasons of how spasms/tremors occur, and the characteristics of each one. Again, not posting this to try to prove that no one has embouchure dystonia, but the importance in understanding other disorders and causes of involuntary muscle contractions. Also studying these other maladies can help us learn to pinpoint similar and varying characterstics of embouchure dystonia, in both symptoms and treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment