Thursday, March 13, 2014

Stretches, Deep Tissue Massage, Myofascial Release, and Horn Playing

Two sessions ago I had some tissue relieved around my back. After that session I had all the soreness and tension move up into primarily my neck. I felt like the contractions around my neck were so strong they were choking me (I'm being overdramatic, but it really did hurt). I could feel a lightening like shock start from the back of my head, run down my neck, and into my shoulder blade and right shoulder. This happened everytime I tried to turn my head to the left. I didn't have tremors, but if I tried to pull my face to the left and hold it there, a spasm would creep up and jerk my head to the right. I knew this feeling in the past....

It felt very similar to my encounter with neck dystonia in the past. I kind of got freaked out. I asked my doctor about it and they said it was definitely a pinched nerve, trapped by the surrounding tissue. We were doing everything we could to release the tissue in the places I felt either pain, soreness, contractions, spasms, or tenderness. But just recently it had flaired up in my neck.

So this week I've had a lot of deep tissue massage to help loosen up the tissue in my back, shoulders, neck, and lower jaw, then combined with acupuncture, and myofascial release. My neck feels so much better now!!! I can still feel the nerve a bit irritated in the right side, but there's definitely been a softening of the tissue. My shoulders and neck have never felt this light, relaxed, and fluid....like butter. My right side is of course still a little tense in areas. 

This most recent acupuncture session was very good. She said there's been a significant break-through. We made great progress. She was working on loosening up the tissue right on that fleshy mound at the back of my neck. She did some type of stretch with my lower jaw and was also pushing on tissue back there, and there was a huge release. We also did a lot of needles around nerve points. My skin has been red for 2-3 days straight now. She said that was normal though and that this is great news because it means the blood circulation is consistent now, and that the pink around my face will go away in time, but for now it is a good sign we hadn't seen before. I also was very lucky to receive a device that will help me at home. 

I'm feeling really good right now. The pain in my face has gone down significantly, and I only feel slight throbbing up near the sides of my eyes along the zygomatic nerve. Otherwise most of my tension and pain is still in my neck and shoulders, but less intense than before...wayyyyy less tense. One a scale of 1-10, my pain before was close to a 9, and now it feels more like a 4 or 5. Again, I'm not playing my horn at all. I'm not allowed to until my body is 100% free of pain, soreness, muscle contractions, and spasms. 

I've also been doing stretches to help with my muscles around my upper back, neck, and shoulders. Here are a couple that help me out a lot (I tried to find them online as best as I could), and have done wonders for me within the last couple of weeks:  

Also this too ---> :) Link: Upper Back Stretches

No comments:

Post a Comment